Possession Of Property Obtained By Crime Charge
Have you been charged with “Possession of property obtained by crime?” If yes, you should speak with one of our criminal defence lawyers in Ontario.
Criminal Code – Section 354: Possession of property obtained by crime
354 (1) Every one commits an offence who has in his possession any property or thing or any proceeds of any property or thing knowing that all or part of the property or thing or of the proceeds was obtained by or derived directly or indirectly from
- (a) the commission in Canada of an offence punishable by indictment; or
- (b) an act or omission anywhere that, if it had occurred in Canada, would have constituted an offence punishable by indictment.
Marginal note: Obliterated vehicle identification number
(2) In proceedings in respect of an offence under subsection (1), evidence that a person has in his possession a motor vehicle the vehicle identification number of which has been wholly or partially removed or obliterated or a part of a motor vehicle being a part bearing a vehicle identification number that has been wholly or partially removed or obliterated is, in the absence of any evidence to the contrary, proof that the motor vehicle or part, as the case may be, was obtained, and that such person had the motor vehicle or part, as the case may be, in his possession knowing that it was obtained,
- (a) by the commission in Canada of an offence punishable by indictment; or
- (b) by an act or omission anywhere that, if it had occurred in Canada, would have constituted an offence punishable by indictment.
Definition of vehicle identification number
(3) For the purposes of subsection (2), vehicle identification number means any number or other mark placed on a motor vehicle for the purpose of distinguishing the motor vehicle from other similar motor vehicles.
(4) A peace officer or a person acting under the direction of a peace officer is not guilty of an offence under this section by reason only that the peace officer or person possesses property or a thing or the proceeds of property or a thing mentioned in subsection (1) for the purposes of an investigation or otherwise in the execution of the peace officer’s duties.
Request a Free Estimate
What Clients Say Farid
I don't know where to start, but the moment I decided to go with Mr. Zamani and his whole team Mr. Daley Byers.. I felt so much more comfortable than I was before. Mr. Zamani and his whole team are outstanding and beyond professional and will tell you what it is.They make you feel so confident that you will win the case in a heartbeat. They always kept they're word from the jump that I will win the case and that's exactly what happened. These guys are true legends and will make you feel confident and make sure you aren't stressing! I TRULY recommend Mr.Zamani and his team Daley Byers. Once again I could not thank you guys enough! Truly are in good hands with them.- MM