Possession Of Property Obtained By Crime Charge
Have you been charged with “Possession of property obtained by crime?” If yes, you should speak with one of our criminal defence lawyers in Ontario.
Criminal Code – Section 354: Possession of property obtained by crime
354 (1) Every one commits an offence who has in his possession any property or thing or any proceeds of any property or thing knowing that all or part of the property or thing or of the proceeds was obtained by or derived directly or indirectly from
- (a) the commission in Canada of an offence punishable by indictment; or
- (b) an act or omission anywhere that, if it had occurred in Canada, would have constituted an offence punishable by indictment.
Marginal note: Obliterated vehicle identification number
(2) In proceedings in respect of an offence under subsection (1), evidence that a person has in his possession a motor vehicle the vehicle identification number of which has been wholly or partially removed or obliterated or a part of a motor vehicle being a part bearing a vehicle identification number that has been wholly or partially removed or obliterated is, in the absence of any evidence to the contrary, proof that the motor vehicle or part, as the case may be, was obtained, and that such person had the motor vehicle or part, as the case may be, in his possession knowing that it was obtained,
- (a) by the commission in Canada of an offence punishable by indictment; or
- (b) by an act or omission anywhere that, if it had occurred in Canada, would have constituted an offence punishable by indictment.
Definition of vehicle identification number
(3) For the purposes of subsection (2), vehicle identification number means any number or other mark placed on a motor vehicle for the purpose of distinguishing the motor vehicle from other similar motor vehicles.
(4) A peace officer or a person acting under the direction of a peace officer is not guilty of an offence under this section by reason only that the peace officer or person possesses property or a thing or the proceeds of property or a thing mentioned in subsection (1) for the purposes of an investigation or otherwise in the execution of the peace officer’s duties.
Request a Free Estimate
What Clients Say Farid
First of all, Mr. Zamani is a charismatic person anyone can approach him to discuss any matter. Right after you approach him, he will spread positive energy in your body. That was I felt when I meet him. Moreover, He and his company are highly organized and keep their promise to the end. I can recommend for any body who needs any case related to charge or any thing related criminal law.- Getachew Lambebo